Salt Lake City, UT / The Mulligan Concept™ Upper Quadrant Course
Sep 24, 2022 @ 8:00 am – Sep 25, 2022 @ 3:30 pm EST
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity.
- Certificate of attendance is provided for Continuing Education (CE) credits, 13 hours
- Approved for 13 CE hours for PTs and PTAs covering the following states AL, AZ, AR, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, OR, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY
- Northeast Seminars (BOC AP#P498) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 13 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
This course will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement™ approach for the upper quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
- List 3 key manual components of Mobilization With Movement™ for the treatment of upper quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 shoulder MWM techniques for shoulder elevation impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 elbow MWM techniques for loss of motion and tennis elbow.
- List 2 indications for wrist/hand taping procedures for the proximal row of carpals and the metacarpals to reinforce an MWM technique.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the upper extremity, cervical and thoracic spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic headaches
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic dizziness
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of cervical and thoracic ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support cervical snags for headaches and dizziness
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to Tennis elbow
- Integrate one combined shoulder MWM and cervical SNAG when presented with a persistent cervical / shoulder musculoskeletal dysfunctional pattern
8:00-9:00 Sign in and Registration. Pre-test. Introduction, theory, guidelines for practical application of Mobilization With Movement (MWM’s): CROCKS and PILL.
9:00-9:30 Hand demonstration and lab practice: IP, MCP, Metacarpals, Carpals, and taping techniques.
9:30-10:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of Wrist. Demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for flexion, extension, supination, pronation, and taping.
10:00-10:15 Break time
10:15-12:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: Natural Apophyseal Glides (NAGs), Reverse NAGs, Sustained Natural Apophyseal Glides (SNAGs).
1:00- 2:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: SNAGs continued. Self-SNAGS/HEP/Self management.
2:00-2:30 Upper Cervical lecture: evidence for evaluation and assessment of Upper Cervical pain, mobility loss, headaches and cervicogenic dizziness.
2:30- 2:45 Break time
2:45- 4:30 Upper Cervical lab practice for Headache/Cervicogenic Dizziness and pain/Mobility loss.
7:30-9:30 Review of Day 1 topics and treatments. CMP exam requirements. Cervical demonstration & lab practice: traction techniques, Transverse SNAG’s (Positional SNAGS’s), Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement.
9:30-9:45 Break time
9:45-11:00 Elbow demonstration and lab practice, HEP/ patient self-management strategies.
11:00-12:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of the Shoulder. Demonstration and lab practice.
1:00- 2:00 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice continued to include the Acromioclavicular joint and Scapulothoracic area: MWM, HEP/self management.
2:00- 2:15 Break time
2:15- 3:00 Rib and Thoracic demonstration and lab practice: MWM for the ribs and thoracic.
3:00 – 3:30 Review, Post Test and Closing
To facilitate your learning and preparation for the course, it is recommended that you purchase a mobilization belt, foam mobilization pads or contact pads, and Brian Mulligan’s 7th edition textbook.
– Wear loose, comfortable lab clothing (with long hair pulled back)
– Bring your copy of the text, a small hand towel and a Mulligan NAGS & SNAGS Mobilization belt.
– Foam mobilization pads or contact pads are recommended.
Don is a graduate of the University of Southern California, where he obtained a Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy in 1981. He is a board certified orthopedic clinical specialist, certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. He has over thirty years of clinical experience emphasizing manual therapy, and currently is in independent practice in Jacksonville, Oregon. Don is an accredited member of the Mulligan Concept ® Teachers Association and served as Regional Manager in North America from 1999-2013. He has assisted Brian Mulligan on courses since 1994, and has been the principal instructor in postgraduate manual therapy courses since 1998 throughout the United States and Canada.
Pay only $499.00
Early bird price available until August 25, 2022 – BUY NOW