Indianapolis, IN / The Mulligan Concept™ Lower Quadrant Course
Aug 20, 2022 @ 8:30 am – Aug 21, 2022 @ 3:30 pm EST
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the lumbar spine, sacroiliac joint as well as for the lower extremity.
- Approved for 13 CE hours for PTs and PTAs covering the following states AL, AZ, AR, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, OR, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY
- Northeast Seminars (BOC AP#P498) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 13 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
- Certificate of attendance is provided for Continuing Education (CE) credits, 13 hours
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the lumbar spine and sacroiliac joint as well as for the lower extremity. It will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement ® approach for the lower quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key components of Mobilization With Movement ® for the treatment of lower quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 ankle MWM techniques for ankle ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 knee MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- Demonstrate 3 hip MWM techniques for ROM impairment.
- List 2 indications for ankle and knee taping procedures to reinforce MWM techniques.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the lower extremity, SI jt and lumbar spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual techniques for the alleviation straight leg raise pain.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques for the alleviation of SI jt pain.
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of lumbar ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support ankle sprain MWM and taping.
- Cite at least 1 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to dorsiflexion loss of the ankle.
Instruction in the MWM concept with lecture, demonstration and lab practice.
- Introduction, Case Reports, theory, and pre-test.
- Toes/Feet demo & lab: 1st MCP, metatarsals, tarsals, plantar fasciitis, and taping techniques.
- Morning Break.
- Ankle lecture: literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of ankle sprain and dorsiflexion impairments.
- Ankle demo and lab practice: talocrual, distal tib/fib joint, DF and PF impairments, ankle sprains and taping.
- Knee demo & lab practice: Belt and IR MWM’s, Squeeze technique for meniscus, proximal tib/fib joint & taping.
- Afternoon break.
- Hip demonstration and lab practice: flexion, Extension, rotation non-weight bearing techniques.
- Hip demonstration and Lab practice: weight bearing techniques.
- Lumbar demonstration and lab practice: Straight leg restriction techniques, Femoral nerve restriction techniques.
- Morning break.
- Lumbar demonstration and lab practice: SNAGs for flexion, extension, side bending and rotation.
- Lumbar HEP’s and self SNAGs.
- SI joint demonstration and lab practice: non-weight bearing and weight bearing Illium and Sacral techniques.
- Afternoon break.
- SI joint techniques continued, taping and HEPs.
- Practical review session, Post test.
– Wear loose, comfortable lab clothing (with long hair pulled back)
– Bring your copy of the text, a small hand towel and a Mulligan NAGS & SNAGS Mobilization belt.
– Foam mobilization pads are recommended.
Amy graduated with honors from The University of Texas Medical Branch in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy. In 2002 she earned a Graduate Certificate in Manipulative Therapy from Curtin University in Perth, Western Australia. She began teaching with Brian Mulligan in 1998 and was fully accredited as a Mulligan Concept Instructor in 2002 by the international body of the Mulligan Concept Teachers Association in Rome, Italy. She currently works for Fidelity Health Care in Dayton, OH.
Early bird price available until July 21, 2022 – BUY NOW