To facilitate your learning and preparation for the course, it is recommended that you purchase a mobilization belt, contact pad, and Brian Mulligan’s 7th edition textbook. Other tools to facilitate learning include video tutorials of the techniques presented in the courses. Click the product links below for information and purchase.
Detroit Area (Madison Heights), MI: The Mulligan Concept™ Upper Quadrant Course
Apr 1, 2023 @ 8:00 am – Apr 2, 2023 @ 3:30 pm EST
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Upper Quarter
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity.
- PTs and PTAs will receive 13 CEU’s for those holding license in the state of Michigan. For those residing outside of the state of Michigan, please contact your state governing board to determine reciprocity for your state. All forms required to submit individually for CEU’s can be found on this website under Courses/CEU’s.
- ATs will receive 13 CEUs from the NATA Board of Certification CEU Provider P3566
- Certificate of attendance for 13 hours of instruction is always given
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Upper Quarter
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity. It will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement™ approach for the upper quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key manual components of Mobilization With Movement™ for the treatment of upper quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 shoulder MWM techniques for shoulder elevation impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 elbow MWM techniques for loss of motion and tennis elbow.
- List 2 indications for wrist/hand taping procedures for the proximal row of carpals and the metacarpals to reinforce an MWM technique.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the upper extremity, cervical and thoracic spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic headaches
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic dizziness
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of cervical and thoracic ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support cervical snags for headaches and dizziness
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to Tennis elbow
- Integrate one combined shoulder MWM and cervical SNAG when presented with a persistent cervical / shoulder musculoskeletal dysfunctional pattern.
8:00-9:00 Sign in and Registration. Pre-test. Introduction, theory, guidelines for practical application of Mobilization With Movement (MWM’s): CROCKS and PILL.
9:00-9:30 Hand demonstration and lab practice: IP, MCP, Metacarpals, Carpals, and taping techniques.
9:30-10:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of Wrist. Demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for flexion, extension, supination, pronation, and taping.
10:00-10:15 Break time
10:15-12:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: Natural Apophyseal Glides (NAGs), Reverse NAGs, Sustained Natural Apophyseal Glides (SNAGs).
1:00- 2:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: SNAGs continued. Self-SNAGS/HEP/Self management.
2:00-2:30 Upper Cervical lecture: evidence for evaluation and assessment of Upper Cervical pain, mobility loss, headaches and cervicogenic dizziness.
2:30- 2:45 Break time
2:45- 4:30 Upper Cervical lab practice for Headache/Cervicogenic Dizziness and pain/Mobility loss.
7:30-9:30 Review of Day 1 topics and treatments. CMP exam requirements. Cervical demonstration & lab practice: traction techniques, Transverse SNAG’s (Positional SNAGS’s), Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement.
9:30-9:45 Break time
9:45-11:00 Elbow demonstration and lab practice, HEP/ patient self-management strategies.
11:00-12:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of the Shoulder. Demonstration and lab practice.
1:00- 2:00 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice continued to include the Acromioclavicular joint and Scapulothoracic area: MWM, HEP/self management.
2:00- 2:15 Break time
2:15- 3:00 Rib and Thoracic demonstration and lab practice: MWM for the ribs and thoracic.
3:00 – 3:30 Review, Post Test and Closing
Wear loose, comfortable lab clothes. Bring mobilization belts, mobilization pads, if available.
Individual Participant Cancellation Policy:All cancellations must be submitted with written notice and received 14 days prior to the course date. Refunds, minus an administrative fee of $50.00, are provided if cancellation is received in this timeframe. No refunds will be issued if notice is received less than 14 days before the course. If written notice is provided at any time prior to the start of the course, or within 1 week after, full course tuition may be transferred to another Mulligan Concept ™ course within 1 year without the administrative fee. Mulligan Concept ™ Teacher’s Association (MCTA) Right to cancel: The MCTA and its teachers reserve the right to cancel any course prior to the course date due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. In the unlikely event that this should occur, individual tuition fees will be returned in full (though life can be unpredictable, we will do everything in our power to avoid such a cancellation < 28 days before the course). However, the NA-MCTA and its teachers will not be held responsible for airline tickets, hotel reservations, or any other travel or personal expenses incurred by the registrant. The NA-MCTA will make every attempt to contact you as soon as possible in the event a course must be canceled. Please consider this policy before making your travel arrangements.
Host Cancellation Policy:In the event that the host facility must cancel, 4 weeks notice must be given in writing to the course instructor. This will allow sufficient time to notify all registered participants.
Jarrod Brian PT, OCS, CMP, CSMT, TPS, MCTA
Jarrod earned his B.S. in Athletic Training/Education from Southern Illinois University in 2001. He received his Master of Science in Physical Therapy from the Mayo School of Health Sciences in 2003. Jarrod is an APTA Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) and APTA Orthopedic Section member.
Jarrod became a Certified Mulligan Practitioner in 2007 and has assisted teaching Mulligan ConceptTM courses since 2009. He holds certifications from The International Spine and Pain Institute for manual therapy and pain science. Further, he has an extensive background in various manual therapy methods, functional dry needling, and movement assessment systems.
Currently Jarrod is employed at Olmsted Medical Center in Rochester, MN. He treats a broad variety of outpatient physical therapy conditions utilizing a multimodal, patient-centered approach. He believes the most successful care occurs at the confluence of patient education, well-timed manual therapy, and focused exercise while simultaneously attempting to understand each unique patient’s goals, lifestyle, and environment.
When not practicing, Jarrod enjoys reading, fitness, and spending time with his family and local church.
Hotel Options :