Introductory Course – Akron, OH (note: date change!)
May 1, 2021 @ 8:00 am – May 2, 2021 @ 4:00 pm
Introductory Course – Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques developed by Brian Mulligan
This two-day course introduces the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the spine as well as the upper & lower extremities.
- PTs and PTAs will receive 13 CCUs from Procert: State Board of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) for those holding license in: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming
- Continuing Education (CE) credits Certificate of attendance for 13 hours
- Ohio Physical Therapy Association approval number 21S0004
- ATs will receive 13 CEUs from the NATA Board of Certification Approval #P3566
Introductory Course – Manual Therapy treatment techniques developed by Brian Mulligan
This two-day course introduces the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the spine as well as the upper & lower extremities. It includes lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants an initial exposure to the Mobilization with Movement approach. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by physiotherapist Brian Mulligan from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key manual components of Mobilization With Movement™.
- Demonstrate 2 shoulder MWM techniques for shoulder elevation impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 elbow MWM techniques for loss of motion and tennis elbow.
- List 2 indications for ankle and knee taping procedures to reinforce an MWM technique.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the upper extremity and cervical spine.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques used for the alleviation of cervical spine pain or dysfunction.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques used for the alleviation of lumbar spine pain or dysfunction.
- Demonstrate 2 manual techniques used for the alleviation of hip joint pain or dysfunction.
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of lumbar ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support cervical snags for ROM, headaches and dizziness.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to Tennis elbow.
Two Day Course 8:00AM – 4:00PM both days (13 hours)
Instruction in the MWM concept with lecture, demonstration and lab practice
- 8:00-9:00 Introduction, case report, theory and pre-test
- 9:00-10:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: NAGs, Reverse NAGs.
- 10:00-10:15 Break time
- 10:15-11:00 Demonstration & lab practice: MWM principles, MWM for hands, wrist, forearm
- 11:00-12:00 Demonstration and lab practice: Cervical SNAGS for flexion, extension, rotation, sidebending, HEP techniques
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-1:30 Demonstration and lab practice: Cervical transverse SNAGS
- 1:30-2:30 Elbow demonstration and lab practice: flexion, extension
- 2:30-2:45 Break time
- 2:45-3:15 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice: manual and belt MWMs for elevation
- 3:15-4:00 Demonstration and lab practice: Cervical Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement (SMWAM)
- 8:00-9:00 Ankle demonstration and lab practice: inversion sprains, instability, taping techniques
- 9:00-10:00 Knee demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for flexion, extension and taping
- 10:00-10:15 Break time
- 10:15-11:30 Lumbar demonstration and lab practice: central and unilateral SNAGS for flexion, extension, HEP
- 11:30-12:00 Techniques for restricted or symptomatic SLR: demonstration and lab practice
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:00 Sacroiliac joint MWMs: demonstration and lab practice
- 2:00-2:30 Hip joint MWM belt technique: demonstration and lab practice
- 2:30- 2:45 Break time
- 2:45- 3:30 Thoracic demonstration & lab practice: SNAGS
- 3:30-4:00 Review, Post Test and Closing
Wear loose, comfortable lab clothes. Bring mobilization belt and foam or contact pad, if available.
Required Reading for mastery
PARTICIPANT RESPONSIBILITIES: attendees may wish to obtain the following recommended texts & accessories:
- Manual Therapy, “NAGS”, “SNAGS”, “MWMS”, etc., 6th or 7th Brian Mulligan, 2010 or 2019.
- The Mulligan Concept ™ of Manual Therapy: Textbook of Techniques by Hing, Hall, Rivett, Vicenzino & Mulligan, 2015.
- Mobilisation with Movement ®: The art and science by Vicenzino, Hing, Rivett and Hall, 2011.
Books can be obtained from the instructor or online.
- The Mulligan Concept® App is also available as a resource for those interested in another tool to learn and practice these techniques. It is available at: https://www.mulliganconceptapp.com
Individual Participant Cancellation Policy: All cancellations must be submitted with written notice and received 14 days prior to the course date. Refunds, minus an administrative fee of $50.00, are provided if cancellation is received in this timeframe. No refunds will be issued if notice is received less than 14 days before the course. If written notice is provided at any time prior to the start of the course, or within 1 week after, full course tuition may be transferred to another Mulligan Concept ™ course within 1 year without the administrative fee.
Mulligan Concept ™ Teacher’s Association (MCTA) Right to cancel: The MCTA and its teachers reserve the right to cancel any course prior to the course date due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. In the unlikely event that this should occur, individual tuition fees will be returned in full (though life can be unpredictable, we will do everything in our power to avoid such a cancellation < 28 days before the course). However, the NA-MCTA and its teachers will not be held responsible for airline tickets, hotel reservations, or any other travel or personal expenses incurred by the registrant. The NA-MCTA will make every attempt to contact you as soon as possible in the event a course must be canceled. Please consider this policy before making your travel arrangements.
Host Cancellation Policy: In the event that the host facility must cancel, 4 weeks’ notice must be given in writing to the course instructor. This will allow sufficient time to notify all registered participants.
Don Reordan – PT, MS, OCS, MCTA, CIDN
Don is a graduate of the University of Southern California, where he obtained a Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy in 1981. He is a board-certified orthopedic clinical specialist, certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. He has over thirty years of clinical experience emphasizing manual therapy and currently is in independent practice in Jacksonville, Oregon. Don is an accredited member of the Mulligan Concept ™ Teachers Association and served as Regional Manager in North America from 1999-2013. He has assisted Brian Mulligan on courses since 1994 and has been the principal instructor in postgraduate manual therapy courses since 1998 throughout the United States and Canada.
Akron-Canton Airport (CAK)
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
Summa Health – Akron Campus
55 Arch Street
Akron, OH 44304
The Mulligan Concept ™ is an outstanding paradigm to integrate into your practice as an athletic trainer. The courses and techniques not only improve your direct patient-care skill set, but also improve your clinical reasoning, decision-making, and communication skills. The techniques are simple to implement in practice and will produce immediate improvements across the gamut of injuries and patient presentations we see as athletic trainers. Practitioners who implement the Mulligan Concept ™ into their clinical evaluations, acute care, and rehabilitation programs will experience significant improvement in their clinical practice.
Don Reordan has outstanding knowledge of, and experience using, the Mulligan Concept ™. He is able to translate his expert knowledge and clinical reasoning in a manner that is effective for both novice and expert learners. He also displays a genuine excitement and joy for teaching the Mulligan Concept ™, which creates a fun learning environment. I highly recommend taking Mulligan Concept ™ courses from Don.
-Russell Baker, DAT, AT Clinical Assistant Professor, Director, Master of Science Athletic Training Program, University of Idaho
One person is attending Introductory Course – Akron, OH (note: date change!)
Early bird price available until April 1, 2021 – BUY NOW